Hello and Welcome Back to #FabulousFriday. Just as a new year brings about new experiences, it also brings new opportunities. If that resonates with you because you are thinking of selling your home, you may be experiencing a mixture of excitement over moving to your dream home and a sense of worry over what to do to get ready to sell your current residence.
A great way to ease some of those emotions and ensure you’re feeling confident in your decision is to keep these top tips and best practices in mind. Here are 3 Easy Tips to Follow:
First, Price Your Home to Sell.
The housing market shifted in 2022, interest rates increased, and some pent up buyer demand eased. As a seller, you’ll want to recognize things are different now and you will need to price your home to sell in Virginia Beach, Virginia, based on where the market is today. Many real estate experts continue to advise--"Price your home realistically. Appropriately priced homes still sell quickly."-Greg McBride, Chief Financial Analyst @ Bankrate
Second, Pay Attention to Condition.
If there are repairs needed, do them before listing your home for sale. The more repairs are needed, the less likely a buyer will want to pay top dollar for your house. Many of today's buyers simply don't want to deal with the costs or inconvenience involved in doing repair work. Today's buyers want a move-in ready home.
A simple DIY tip-get your home sparkling clean before listing it for sale. Did you know that a clean home can add almost $2,000 to a home's resale value? You could hire professional cleaners, and save yourself time. But, if you want to save some money, you can do it yourself. Be sure to clean spaces that you don't typically scrub, such as the window sills, baseboards, and the insides, plus the tops and bottom of appliances.
Here's a Pre-Listing Checklist:
- Mow the yard, edge and weed all the flower beds, remove leaves and reseed in sparse areas.
- Trim hedges, prune trees, shape and cut back overgrown shrubbery.
- Reseal cracks in steps, foundation, walkways and patios. Power-wash any discolored exteriors.
- Clean and align gutters and downspouts.
- Have the fireplace professionally cleaned.
- Remove oil stains from driveways and garages. Keep walkways and driveways swept and clear of debris.
- Wash the windows, inside and out. Dust all the window sills and remove any cobwebs. Repair damaged windowpanes, moldings and woodwork. Mend and replace torn screens.
- Repair any cracks, holes, damage to plaster, wallboard, paint and tiles. A fresh coat of paint is a quick fix and makes the home look shiny and fresh.
- Repair any dripping faucets, showerheads, toilets and unclog any stoppages. Replace old, discolored or cracked toilet seats
- Shampoo the carpets, scrub vinyl, wax wood floors. Renail any creaking boards or stairs, lubricate any squeaking doors.
- Replace all burned out light bulbs and put in bright light bulbs to maximize the interiors.
- Wash all light switches, handrails and door knobs.
Third, Consult Your Real Estate Agent.
While some sellers may be tempted to save on agent commission and think of selling their home, "For Sale by Owner", its not the best decision financially. In fact, the National Association of Realtors reports that only 10% of homes were sold this way in 2022 and half of those were to buyers the seller already knew. Did you know that homes sold without the assistance of a real estate professional sell for less on average? In 2022, agent-assisted sales sold for an average of $345,000.00 compared to FSBO, which only sold for $225,000.00. A study from HomeLight data shows that the top 5% of real estate agents sell homes for 10% more. By not working with a top agent, or by foregoing an agent altogether, you could be leaving significant money on the table. Finally, even if you do put the home on the market without an agent, if the buyer uses an agent, the seller typically pays for the buyer's agents commission. That means the buyer has professional representation, and the seller is left to negotiate by themselves. That can leave a seller vulnerable to common seller mistakes.
Therefore, if you have decided it's time to sell--contact us today. We will put you in touch with one of our top listing agents who can prepare a complimentary market analysis and help you prepare for your sale. We look forward to helping you! Warmly, Susan