Hi! Welcome back to #MentorshipMonday! Recently, I was researching the most successful and highly effective mentorship practices and programs. I came across a top rated mentorship system used by wellness guru, Deepak Chopra. The framework is simple, but powerful. It contains 5 critical questions. These 5 questions form an effective diagnostic assessment designed to examine capabilities and opportunities. They are as follows:
1) What is it you really want to be and do? This question is about motive and objectives. The inquiry is designed to establish business goals and uncover personal objectives. The answers contain helpful insight to the driving passion of the individual--what is their vision of what they want to be--or be great doing?
2) What are you naturally good at doing? This question illuminates core strengths and the person's ability to carry out and achieve his/her/their goal. Do you like any of the following; Working with sellers? Working with buyers? Collaborating with For-Sale-By-Owners? Working with Investors? Working by Referral? Working with Property Management? Working with Commercial Real Estate? This will help to create a specific objective. Creating a clear focus will help with alignment and execution.
3) What roadblocks are you currently encountering? This is about faciliating an honest and critical assessment of obstacles, challenges or weaknesses in a person that is slowing their ability to win the game; to meet the goal from the starting point.
4) What will you do differently tomorrow to reach those goals? Many people have a tendency to practice and repeat what they are already good at. It's human nature to focus on strengths and avoid weaknesses. Use this question to probe whether the person has the aptitude to change behavior. Is the person willing and/or able to change?
5) How can I help? The answers to the first four questions uncover areas of particular strengths, relationships, or learning resources and determine how you can help a person achieve their goals.
The next time you have a mentoring session, incorporate these questions, or better yet-use them as a self-diagnostic tool. The answers can help to establish a clear and sensible game plan for forward progress.
Check back next Monday for more helpful tips and tricks. See you soon! Warmly, Susan