Hello! Welcome back to #FabulousFriday. It's hard to believe that 2022 is almost over. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Dr. Seuss..."Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." Lots of changes occurred in 2022. It's time to begin thinking of 2023. Many people turn to New Year's Resolutions, some of which include organizing or decluttering their homes and work spaces. Perhaps you are thinking of selling your home in 2023. If so, here are 5 top tips for organizing and streamlining your interior spaces:
1) First, create a list. It's great to clean up, declutter and feel fresh for the New Year. I have found that when my physical spaces are clean and organized, my mental spaces stay neat and tidy as well. In fact, after a full day's cleaning, I typically feel a great deal of stress relief. I recommend going room by room and survey what I haven't used in the last six months. If I haven't touched it, I ask myself, "will I use this in the next six months?" If the answer is no, it goes on the list to recycle, donate, or throw away.
2) Next, have a clear idea of what your decluttering goals are. Do you want to sell your home? If so, you will want to collaborate with your agent to stage your interior spaces for maximum photographic value. Do you want to simplify your work areas? If so, you may want to recycle computers, electronics, clean out desk drawers, throw away receipts, etc.
3) Then, do a second round of inspections. Is there anything that did not go on the initial list because of sentimental reasons? Do you keep saying you might use that item...some day? Or, do you feel bad because it was a gift? The thing is, it can be pretty hard to let go of some things for subconscious worries. Instead of giving in to those feelings--take back control. When we make a conscious decision to change the way we feel about things, it can help us let go of guilt and give us a feeling of freedom and empowerment. Surrounding yourself with things you don't want only weighs you down. Be bold and courageous and put those items on the list!
4) Ask yourself this question..."does this item or object bring me joy?" If the answer is no--could it bring someone else joy? Could you brighten someone else's life by giving it away? Remind yourself of what life will feel and look like once all the clutter has been removed. Remember--you are making more space in your life and your home for things that you do love. Think of it this way-can you keep one nice thing in every category? Keep the one thing that you love the most, so you can care for it and receive joy every time you look at it, or use it. Pretty soon, you will find that your entire home is filled with beautiful, clean treasures.
5) We all tend to collect and build up piles of things that we just don't use. Without regular purging, your home can become disorganized and it becomes a chore to find the one thing that you are looking for. All that clutter also serves to make your home look dated and dingy. This can make selling your home a real challenge. Especially when buyers are looking for neat, clean, organized interior spaces.
No matter what your goals are for decluttering your home, cleaning your interior spaces will help you achieve other goals and resolutions for 2023. In fact, we'd love to help you get started. If you want a professional seller consultation on how to organize your interior spaces, reach out to us today. We look forward to hearing from you.
In the meantime--Happy New Year! See you in 2023! Warmly, Susan