Hi! Thanks for stopping in for #WorldWednesday. Did you know that the average homeowner in Virginia Beach gained $36,000.00 in home equity in 2021? With interest rates at historic low levels, many people are considering doing home improvements and upgrades in 2022. If so, you may be shopping for contractors. We have some valuable tips when selecting the person to work on your home. Here are 8 points to consider before hiring a contractor:
1. Check with friends, neighbors, trade associations, and home improvement stores for referrals. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising.
2. Get three bids, then bargain. Question extremely low bids.
3. Don’t hire someone who “just completed work in your area” and offers you a bargain.
4. Avoid contractors with no street address. Verify phone numbers. Check out websites.
5. Resist high-pressure tactics.
6. Get written estimates and references.
7. Ensure proper permits are obtained and paid for.
8. Get your own loan. Never pay in full up front; arrange for payments upon completion of defined amounts of work. Make sure you are satisfied before making final payment.
Check back next Wednesday for more valuable tips and tricks. See you soon! Warmly, Susan