Hi! Thanks for tuning in for #MotivationMonday! Today we feature the top 5 benefits of becoming a Real Estate Mentor. Behind every successful person, there's a mentor who helped them along the way. Some of the most influential people in history were encouraged to succeed by some of the most well-known people of our time. In fact, here are two examples:
*Oprah Winfrey was mentored by celebrated author and poet, the late Maya Angelou. "She was there for me always, guiding me through some of the most important years of my life," Winfrey said. "Mentors are important and I don't think anybody makes it in the world without some form of mentorship," she added.
*Former Apple Inc. CEO the late Steve Jobs served as a mentor to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. The two developed a relationship in the early days of Facebook and often met to discuss the best business and management practices for the company. When Jobs passed away in the fall of 2011, Zuckerberg posted on his Facebook page, "Steve, thank you for being a mentor and friend. Thanks for showing what you build can change the world. I will miss you."
Many experienced real estate agents today have a unique opportunity to leave a legacy. Through mentoring, there is a mutual way of learning and allowing both participants to develop transferable skills to add to their respective experiences. The best mentors are people who support and encourage others. They help to identify your unique skill sets and encourage you to master what you are good at. Here are 5 Career benefits of becoming a mentor:
1) It's a win-win. As a mentor, you are imparting knowledge and your own experiences. Yet, mentoring is a two-way street. You develop listening skills, which is an essential skill in effective real estate salesmanship. By being a better listener, you become a better agent, improve productivity and understand more. A mentoring relationship provides a chance to practice these necessary skills while sharing knowledge with the mentee.
2) It promotes self-reflection. By sharing your experiences, you are reliving what worked for you. Your mentee is interested in what attributes and strengths are needed in the workplace. Sharing your perspective validates your strengths and may even surprise you about how good you are at your profession. Even in revisiting past failures, you may recognize mistakes you can now correct. With hindsight, you can gain a more in-depth view of your path and achievements.
3) It increases motivation. Teaching or advising others lifts your motivation for your own career. Making time for others who want to learn from you reinforces any doubt of your worth. Transferring what you have learned in the past and helping others can be exhilarating. Their enthusiasm is contagious and gives you energy.
4) It helps to overcome procrastination. As a mentor, you are promoting the best version of yourself. You become mindful of wasting time and avoid costly hesitation. It also helps you to prioritize your own professional goals.
5) It develops personal growth and a sense of fulfillment. Many research studies link mentoring with career growth and personal development. People who serve as mentors report greater job satisfaction and commitment to their occupation. "Show me a successful individual and I will show you someone who had real positive influences in his or her life. I don't care what you do for a living-if you do it well I'm sure there was someone cheering you on or showing the way-a mentor."-Denzel Washington
In both business and our personal life, we should all be seeking to develop our skills, continually learning new things and challenging ourselves and others. Mentoring has the power to accelerate self-development, career progression, and overall confidence, for both the mentee and the mentor. Therefore, it's interesting to note, according to many studies, only 37% of professionals have a mentor. Real estate offers amazing opportunities to be social, make new connections and help people during major milestones. If you have a passion for giving back, contact me to find out how you can begin an engaging, empowering, and highly rewarding journey as a mentor, or a mentee, with Shaffer Realty. See you soon! Warmly, Susan